If you are a massive fan of fish aquariums, then you will surely know the importance of having an exemplary canister filter. Are you planning to upgrade your fish tank? It can be a burdensome job to choose an impeccable filter that must get the job done perfectly. The Fluval canister filter and the Marineland canister filter are the most renowned brands in the market. The Fluval vs Marineland canister filter is the most debatable topic among fish aquarium owners. A good canister is a jewel in the crown of your aquarium setup.
Fortunately, I have used both brands over the past years and on the basis of my experience, I can surely help you in picking the best one among them. It is true that different strokes for different people. So, here in this article, I have brought to you the specifications, pros, and cons of each of a Marineland c360 and a Fluval 306 canister filter, so you can select the pristine canister filter for your aquarium setup. keep reading to find the one.
Fluval Vs Marineland Canister Filter
Surely, it is a very strenuous job to choose among the two, but not anymore, as I have taken the liberty to do it for you. I have evaluated the pros and cons of the Marineland vs Fluval canister filters and on the basis of my personal encounters with the two, I can assuredly vouch for the Marineland 360.
As a buyer, I would always opt for the low-priced canister filters, but it turned out to be a devastating experience, as all the inexpensive filters I had used before would not meet up my expectations. The durability and performance were really disappointing. Unlikely, the Marineland canister filter is not only a blast for your bucks but also has a splendid performance. Let’s sink into the details of both filters so that you can finally make the right decision.
Fluval 306 Canister Filter
I was quite tempted by all the Fluval 306 canister filters reviews to buy one for my fish tank. It really lives up to my expectations, as it has an amazing performance. It is a very powerful external canister filter that comes with a large capacity and storage. The powerful pump can pump the water at 303 GPH which enables it to provide maximum filtration. One of the drawbacks of having such powerful pumping power is the power consumption, the Fluval canister filter also has a 16-watt power consumption, which can be costly, in the long run.
It is a large size, having dimensions of 7.6 inches in length, 14.5 of width, and 16.2 inches in height. It weighs around 9.15 Pounds. You might think that in the case of external canister filters, size and weight must not be a problem, but I find it quite difficult to carry, whenever I have to clean it. The Fluval filter has three baskets of perfect sizes. It provides you with optimal space for the media. The powerful water flow and the large media capacity, surely make it best for filtering large aquariums.
The Fluval 306 canister filter is much quieter than many other models out there, but it has a vertical divisor through which the water from the tubes passes with a lot of speed. The water moves through the divisor and passes through the sponge. It reaches the end and then moves upward while passing through the basket. It is the best option for large and populated aquariums as the water flow and media provided make sure of maximum filtration.
Marineland C360 Canister Filter
Marineland is one of the oldest brands in the game, it has really impressed the users over the past years and always lives up to the standards. Whether you are having a freshwater or saltwater aquarium, you can rely on the Marineland c360 canister filter. It is a large and heavy canister filter with an impressive performance, easy maintenance, and quieter operation. I really enjoyed using this one. You will also fall in love with this one after buying it, for sure. Why shouldn’t you? Let’s jump into the details of the Marineland c360 review.
The Marineland c360 canister filter is a heavily built canister filter. It has a dimension of 14 inches in length, 11.02 inches in width, 18 inches in height. It weighs around 19.4 Pounds. It has four clips for maximum security. It has a valve block that ensures that whenever needed the water flow is stopped. This feature helps it in reducing any chance of leakage. It is available in three different sizes that have different pumping power. It is available in 160 GPH, 220 GPH, and 360 GPH.
It has a three-stage filtration but the most important thing is that you can customize the media according to the needs of your own aquarium. The large filtration media capacity makes it suitable for 100-gallon tanks and the powerful pump enables it to filter 360 gallons of water per hour. There is a water polisher on top of the biological, chemical, and mechanical media. The pad acts as a water polisher, as it filters out all the debris before the water reaches the other media. This makes the water cleaner, even before passing through the three media.
Why Does The Marineland Outperform The Fluval Canister Filters?
When you are selecting an ideal and consummate canister filter for your aquarium, then you cannot make your decision on the basis of one feature. You have to keep in mind many things while selecting the best one for your fish aquarium. You can just go for the looks, size, filtration capacity, water flow, easy maintenance, or low price. In order to be the best one, a filter must have it all. You cannot compromise on filtration as it is crucial for not only the health of marine life but also for the overall neat look of your fish tank.
I hope that the Fluval 306 canister filter review and the Marineland c360 canister filter review might have given you the answer to the Marineland vs Fluval debate, but if not then here is the comparison of the two, to make it clearer, which one is actually suitable to be claimed as the best.
- Size and looks might not be the best features, determining the eligibility of external canisters as they are placed at the back of the filter. The Fluval is slightly smaller than the Marineland and both have a similar black and decent look. The size of the Marineland is about 40 percent more than the Fluval filter. The larger size of Marineland allows it to provide more filtration capacity.
- In terms of leakage and security, Marineland has an upper hand as it comes with four clips along with a valve block. Whereas, the Fluval canister filter has only two clips to secure the lid.
- The pumping power of the Fluval 306 canister filter is 303 GPH. Whereas, the Marineland c360 is available in a size with 360 GPH power. This enables it to pump power at a higher speed.
- The power consumption of the Fluval 306 canister filter is 16 watts and can cost you more in the long run.
- Water flows through the filtration system along a vertical path called divisor in the Fluval canister filter. In the case of Marineland, the water doesn’t flow through another path, it rather flows through the baskets, while passing through the media.
- Both of them are much quieter than other available models, but the Marineland is a lot quieter than the Fluval canister filter. The water, when passing through the vertical devoir, makes the sound similar to the waterfall.
- The size of the baskets of the Marineland canister filter is larger as compared to the Fluval canister filter.
- The filtration media present in both has all three, biological, chemical, and mechanical media, but the marine land has a water polishing pad above the media for maximum filtration.
- The outlet and inlet valves of the Marineland are more adjustable as they can swivel, whereas, the valves of the Fluval are fixed.
- The tube of the Fluval canister filter is smaller and difficult to replace. Whereas, the tubing system of the Marineland is much more convenient.
- Filtration of the marine land is a lot better than the Fluval as in the case of the Fluval the water flows along a different path, whereas in the Marineland the water directly passes through the filtration media which allows the media to filter out more efficiently than the Fluval.
- The Marineland is an easy-to-maintain filter, the media setup is customizable, so you can change it accordingly. The cleaning of the Fluval on the other hand takes a lot more time than the Marineland.
- The Marineland is inexpensive and the Fluval canister filter lies on the higher end, in terms of price.
Which external filter is best?
The Marineland c360 is one of the best canister filters out there. It is more durable, powerful, and has high performance. The size, quality, media, and capacity are far better than many high-end brands. It helps you in maximum filtration for marine life. It gets rid of all the impurities so that you can take good care of your marine life.
How long do Fluval canister filters last?
The Fluval canister is an impressive canister filter. Its performance and powerful water flow are some of its amazing features. It has a three-stage filtration system, you need to clean the media to make sure the optimal functioning of the filter. You need to clean and change the media if needed. The media of the canister might last for about 3 to 5 months without cleaning, but it mostly depends upon the size and population in your fish tank.
I hope that now, you have the answer to the Fluval vs Marineland canister filter debate. The Marineland 360 canister filter setup is my personal favorite as it is an all-rounder when it comes to canister filters. No doubt that Fluval canister filters are also one of the best, but a Marineland surely has the properties to be called the best. It is affordable, has high filtration ability, water polisher, valve stop, high water flow, less power consumption, quieter operation, low maintenance, is easy to clean, and is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater setups.
If you want to take good care of your underwater marine buddies and that too at an affordable price, then Marineland is the best option. It is truly a blast for your bucks and you will surely not regret buying one. So, what are you waiting for? Go and grab yours.
Also see: Fluval VS Eheim Canister Filter