Are you looking askance at the dirty, cloudy water in your aquarium that looked so fresh and cleaned just a few days back? If yes, you are at the right place because I am about to disclose some critical information about this topic. The reason why the water has turned cloudy is that it has been contaminated with fish wastes. You didn’t think that fishes don’t urinate, did you? So the best way to clean that dirty water is by using an aquarium canister filter media.
Now, you must be wondering what that is, right? So, let me explain. It is a natural filtration method in which a filter media is put inside the tank where microscopic bacteria start to grow. These bacteria are sometimes referred to as the natural decomposers of the ecosystem because they feed on the compounds in the fish urea and break it down into non-toxic nitrates. So now that you know what filter media is and what they do, here is a list of some of the best canister filter media that I can personally vouch for.
Best Canister Filter Media
1. OUFISH Aquarium Bio Balls Filter Media – Best Filter Media For Canister Filter
OUFISH Aquarium Bio Balls Filter Media is hands down one of the best filter media for a canister filter. This is because it contains six different types of filter media that will help eliminate all kinds of wastes and impurities. These ring-like filter media come enclosed inside a mesh bag sealed with a zipper. All you have to do is throw a single mesh bag containing media into the fish aquarium and let it do its magic.
This bio-media attracts natural bacteria to reside inside them. These bacteria then take up all the ammonia from the fish wastes and convert it into nitrites, which are further broken down into nitrates. Besides, the fish wastes make the water go cloudy and unhealthy for the fish, but this filter media effectively soak up all the impurities, thus ultimately turning the water transparent.
Moreover, this filter media helps improve gaseous exchange as they soak up all the carbon dioxide and ammonia from the water and increase oxygen levels, thus promoting a healthy ecological environment. It also helps maintain perfect levels in the water by absorbing the acidic Carbon dioxide and ammonia. Furthermore, these filters are environmentally friendly as they last longer than their counterparts.
- A single filter pack of OUFISH Aquarium Bio Balls Filter Media weighs 500 grams and contains six different types of filter media.
- Provides a perfect environment for the growth of natural bacteria that is imperative for gaseous exchange essential for fishes to survive, giving a semblance of natural habitat.
- This filter bag converts the fish wastes into nitrates and nitrites efficiently.
- The good bacteria that inhabit this filter absorb all the water impurities and filter it, making it look clear and odor-free.
So if you have a large fish tank and are worried about cleaning it, I suggest that you try out the OUFISH Aquarium Bio Balls Filter Media. These little colorful rings may seem like not much at first, but you will be amazed at how much they can achieve. All you will have to do is toss a plastic mesh bag into the fish aquarium directly and let it do the rest. That dirty water will turn crystal clear in a week!
2. Marineland Bio-Filter Balls – Aquarium Canister Filter Media
Marineland Bio-Filter Balls is another superb option for people looking for the best bio media for freshwater. These are unique and very efficient filter media both in their looks and performance. You get ninety small black plastic balls in the box. The balls contain filter media that will promote the growth of healthy bacteria, which in turn help filter toxins from the water.
Speaking of the bacteria, these are natural microscopic beings that act as natural ammonia decomposers from the fishes’ waste material and convert them into nitrites. These nitrites are then converted into nitrates by the same bacteria growing on these bo filter balls. In this way, the tank water gets filtered, and you will notice a visible change in the color of the water as it turns crystal clear from cloudy.
These balls provide a large surface area for filtration, which means that you will be required to use only a few balls at a time, but determining the exact quantity to be used is imperative. For this purpose, you must read the instructions on the box very carefully and consider the size of the tank and the number of fish it contains.
- These filter balls have a large surface area which quickens the process of water filtration.
- They promote the growth of good bacteria that help filter the water in a natural, non-toxic way very efficiently.
- The filter media is packed inside small non-toxic plastic balls that are easy to remove from the tanks once they have completed their job.
- In each pack, you get ninety balls, but you will have to consider the size of your fish tank and the instructions on the box before you use them.
Marineland Bio-Filter Balls give good value for money as they are highly effective in filtering the water and are non-toxic. So, if you have a small fish aquarium at home and are looking for efficient filters that will clean out the water without physically removing the water from the tank, this is the best option for you. They are used less and last longer than most of the filters available in the market.
3. Fluval Biomax Filter Media – Best Bio Media For Canister Filter
Fluval Biomax Filter Media is yet another best filter media for a canister filter because it filters the water without affecting its characteristics. It maintains the pH levels of the water. Besides, this filter media has a complex pore structure and helps retain a large amount of water at once. Hence, a larger amount of filtered water is released into the tank as it soaks up the same amount of unfiltered water.
Moreover, this filter media is highly porous, which means that a massive number of good bacteria can reside in them simultaneously. This obviously leads to a more efficient filtration process. Besides, the bacteria provide a semblance of a natural ecosystem to the fishes, thereby promoting a healthy ecological environment.
The good bacteria living in the pores of the Fluval Biomax Filter Media take ammonia from the water and debris passing through it and immediately break it down into nitrites and nitrates. In this way, a very toxic compound from the waste material is effectively removed. Besides, they also soak up carbon dioxide from the water and release oxygen through anaerobic respiration.
- It has a great capacity to hold and retain a lot of water at once. This enables a more efficient water filtration process.
- It has many pores, which means that more bacteria can reside inside these filters, which helps promote a healthy ecological environment for the fishes.
- These bacteria soak up all the ammonia from the fish waste and break it down into nitrites and nitrates.
- It is excellent for both freshwater and saltwater tanks and prevents the growth of moss in the tank.
So, if you are looking for efficient filter media for canister filters, then the Fluval Biomax Filter Media is the right choice. These work specifically well in large size fish aquariums and tanks. However, the only problem you may face with these filters is that they sometimes disintegrate inside the water tank if you don’t change them on time. Otherwise, these work perfectly fine in their prime.
CerMedia MarinePure Sphere Bio-Filter Media is yet another powerful media filter that will go a long way in filtering out all the impurities from the aquariums regardless of whether they exhibit saltwater or freshwater characteristics. They are made up of inert ceramic, which you can cut out in cute shapes with a knife or scissors before putting them into your water tank.
Moreover, this filter media is highly porous, which ultimately increases the surface area of the filter as compared to the plain spherical ball. As a result, it facilitates a greater flow of water through the filter media, which means a more significant amount of water is filtered continuously. Besides, a higher number of pores means that more healthy bacteria can reside on them. Thus, you can maintain a healthy ecological environment using a small number of filter media.
Furthermore, as the water flushes through the filter media, the good bacteria living in the minute holes quickly take up all the impurities such as ammonia and carbon dioxide and convert them into oxygen, nitrites, and nitrates. Thus, improving the gaseous exchange and water quality while maintaining pH balance in the water to provide ideal conditions for the tank inhabitants.
- This filter media has a lot of pores which increase the surface area of the filter. As a result, the filtration process speeds up as more bacteria can reside on them.
- It is made of ceramic, so you can quickly cut it into any shape you want with a kitchen knife or a pair of scissors, whichever is more convenient.
- This filter soaks up all the waste material from the water, breaking down the ammonia present in them into less toxic nitrites and nitrates.
- It works exceptionally well in both freshwater and saline environment.
So, if you are looking for some non-toxic filter media that will efficiently filter out all the impurities from your aquarium, check out the CerMedia MarinePure Sphere Bio-Filter Media. It will definitely turn out to be extremely helpful in providing a healthy and nourishing ecological environment to your pet fishes, even if they are marine water inhabitants.
AQUANEAT Bio Aquarium Sump Filter Media is incredible and one of the best bio media for a canister filter. It is a highly porous filter with a hollow space in the middle that facilitates an improved water flow. Besides, the material of the filter is highly porous, which means that more bacteria can live inside it. These bacteria act as natural recyclers taking up all the impurities and breaking them into compounds necessary for fish nutrition.
Fishes need a healthy, clean environment to survive and thrive, but their wastes pollute the water and change its constitution, so some kind of filter is required to flush out all the waste toxins from the water. The Almighty AQUANEAT Bio Aquarium Sump Filter Media will do precisely the same. It provides ideal living conditions for the decomposing bacteria to grow, which later help clean up the water.
The best part about this filter media is that it works brilliantly in both freshwater and saltwater bodies, unlike many other counterparts that work only in saltwater or freshwater environments. This specific quality makes them unlimited in their scope of use. Besides, this filter comes inside a plastic mesh bag that is reusable and recyclable. All you need to do is toss the bag into the aquarium and leave the rest on it.
- These filter media have a large surface area which gives in improved water flow and excellent filtration capabilities.
- It effectively purifies the water by breaking down toxic ammonia from the wastes into nitrites and nitrates.
- The good bacteria in the filter improve gaseous exchange by converting poisonous carbon dioxide into oxygen through anaerobic respiration.
- It comes in a mesh bag with a zipper that is reusable and recyclable.
- They work equally well in both freshwater and saltwater bodies.
I would highly recommend the AQUANEAT Bio Aquarium Sump Filter Media to you all for its amazingly enriching qualities. They are worth the price tag, plus they help effectively clean out an enormous fish aquarium within seconds. So don’t waste any more time than you already have and get yourself one of these fantastic filter media for your aquariums.
What do filter media do?
Filter media provide ideal living conditions for good bacteria to live in the highly porous walls of these filter media. These bacteria respire anaerobically and feast on the waste materials of the fishes. In this way, highly toxic compounds called ammonia, and carbon dioxide are converted into nitrites, nitrates, and oxygen.
Is it worth buying a filter media for a canister filter?
It is absolutely worth buying a filter media for a canister filter. Without it, the waste compounds will accumulate in the fish tank making the water highly poisonous and ultimately killing off the fish. You must use a filtration method to continuously clean the water to maintain ideal living conditions for the tank’s inhabitants. The best way to do this is by using filter media.
So, by far, you are all well aware of some of the best canister filter media. Now it is up to you which one you should buy. They are all equally helpful and work wonders in purifying your fish aquarium. But if you still find yourself confused about selecting the best canister filter media, I suggest that you prefer one of my top three personal favorites.
- AQUANEAT Bio Aquarium Sump Filter Media is a very efficient filter with a reasonable price to go with its features. It comes with a mesh bag and has a large surface area. The highly porous walls provide ideal conditions for the survival of good bacteria that facilitate the purification process.
- OUFISH Aquarium Bio Balls Filter Media is yet another powerful canister filter media that will drain all the impurities from the fish tank, making it go from cloudy to crystal clear in a week. It continuously filters water through highly porous walls and bacteria living inside it.
- CerMedia MarinePure Sphere Bio-Filter Media is a highly porous filter with excellent filtration capacity. It takes up all the toxic waste material from the tank and breaks it down into non-toxic nutritious compounds. This filter further maintains an ideal pH balance for water life.